Thursday, March 25, 2010

old folk, pt I

I have this strange fascination with old folk in Korea. My grandparents were around more than most families' growing up in the states - this meaning my grandparents flew over and stayed with us 6 months at a time. Every morning, I exercise with old folk at the palace. The older generation dresses differently and smell funny. The ends of subway cars and best seats on the bus are reserved for old people. There are bunch of crazy and mentally ill old people in Jongno every afternoon.

Then there are the the old folk that play the asian game of "go" or in Korean, "바둑" pronounced 'baduk,' in front of Jongmyo Park. If you're never seen this, then imagine old folk in Central Park playing chess, but totally Asianized. They sit on the ground cross-legged typically on top of flattened cardboard boxes, and carefully lay white and black stone pieces on a square wooden board.




There are spectators too. People simply roaming around observing intense matches, and even police officers to quell any fights or disruptions. My undercover pictures were only able to capture men, but I did see a few women around as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment